My "No Flash" Confession

I have something to say...I hate number 11/52...Not the subject of course, but the lighting. Ever since I switched to manual mode I swore off my flash. I refuse to use it because I want to learn how to use my ISO better. However, this learning process really shows when I take pictures indoors. It takes a lot of skill to refrain from flash at night indoors. I know it is not impossible, but my photos end up being way to warm in color. I am almost certain that I had white balance on auto, but no amount of editing could get the color right on this one.

That leads me to my second confession...My little new photographer dirty secret. What is a newbie to do when they fail with color? They turn to black and white. In reviewing my photos, I noticed that whenever I have an awesome photo where the colors are not quite right, I simply turn to black and white and call it a day. It takes a lot of skill to get a color photo right. Color photos need to have correct skin tones and tack sharp eyes.

In realizing some of my weaknesses, I am going to force myself to post the next ten photos in color. In the meantime, I would like to change number 11 back to black and white if you do not mind. I originally had the photo in b/w, but posted the color version against my better judgement. (too many glasses of wine)




Comments

Popular Posts